M.Sc. Mathematics is a two-year postgraduate program which is divided into four semesters. In this degree, candidates get a deeper knowledge of advanced mathematics through a vast preference of subjects such as geometry, calculus, algebra, number theory, dynamical systems, differential equations, etc. In 1999 the department was raised as PG department with the introduction of M.Sc. in Pure Mathematics. The programme follows a credit and semester system (PGCSS, M.G. University, 2019 admission).
- Specialisation: Pure Mathematics
- Theory Courses: Twenty theory courses in all four semesters out of which seventeen core courses are common to all students.
- Elective Courses
- Semester I – III – All courses are common to all students
- Semester IV – Three elective courses are – Differential Geometry, Algorithmic Graph Theory and Combinatorics.
- Project: Each student has to do research project work in the final semester.
- Viva Voce: A viva voce exam is conducted at the time of evaluation of the project.
A Postgraduate in Mathematics can get a chance in the financial sector as well as the government sector. They would fit the work profile of an analytic science consultant, actuarial analyst, database manager, external auditor, data analyst, customer coordinator, credit analyst, and quantitative risk analyst. Students can choose a teaching career and become a professor in government and private colleges. Secondary school teachers, technical subject matter experts, academic coordinators, middle school teachers, and science teachers are also earning good salaries after their postgraduate degree.
After completing a postgraduate degree in mathematics, students can opt for higher studies. They can go into the research field and pursue M. Phil. or PhD in mathematics. There are a large number of colleges and institutes that are offering this course. The eligibility criteria for admission in this course, students have to qualify for the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Eligibility Test (CSIR – NET), University Grant Commission – National Eligibility Test (UGC – NET). Some colleges consider Gate Aptitude Test Engineering (GATE) and National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM).
The most popular career options after M. Sc Mathematics include
- Lecturer in Mathematics.
- Scientific Officer in ISRO, DRDO
- Data Science Modelers.
- Banking – Investment Banking.
- Statistical Research.
- Operational Research.
- Junior Research Fellow.
- Quantitative Developer.
- Quantitative Risk Analyst.
- Director of Statistical Programming.
- Equity Quantitative analyst.
- Interest Rate Trading Strategist.
- Treasury Management Specialist.
- Researcher and accountant.